Here I am, prepping for my own birth at home (I'm due next month!), writing down things to do and get on the list and thankfully this week I finished one thing I feel is going to be important post birth for a few days and that is Padsicles!
What is a Padsicles? Well my friends it is a maxi pad with witch hazel, Aloe Vera and a couple of essential oils - all put together on the pad and put in the freezer to grab out after birth for a nice cooling sensation after all the work of birthing baby on your lady bits!
I'm going to show you how to make them step by step!
What you'll need:
- Maxi pads - I got some overnight size maxi's, but really get whatever size you want or have on hand.
- Witch Hazel - I used Thayer's Witch Hazel Alcohol Free Toner with Lavender, I have heard it is best to go with a witch hazel that does not contain alcohol so that is the direction I went!
- Aloe Vera Gel - I tried to find a relatively pure kind and went with Fruit of the Earth.
- Lavender and/or Tea Tree Essential oil - I used what I had on hand already but NOW brand EO's is a good option and here is a pack with both Lavender and Tea Tree EO's if you need some.
- 1 plastic freezer gallon baggie.
Now that you've got all that, here's how you put em' together!
Step 1: Unfold the pad keeping the plastic on the back and wings it so you can roll it back up then pour the witch hazel on the pad - I just eyed it, but it was probably somewhere around 2 tablespoons, maybe a bit more.
Step 2: Squeeze out a liberal amount of aloe over the pad, but don't worry about spreading it out just yet.
Step 3: Add a few drops of each essential oil on top of the aloe.
Step 4: Mix it all and spread it out with a spoon! I spread all of the aloe/EO mixture over the whole pad.
Step 5: Fold the pads back up gently, I did mine pretty loosely and I left the wings out to the side so they wouldn't get the mixture on them. Throw them in your gallon baggie and put them in the freezer so they are ready to grab for when you head to the hospital or birthing center or ready to grab after giving birth at home. I made about 10 Padsicles and could have fit a couple more in the baggie. I do still have some leftover ingredients so if I feel like I need to make some more after I run out I will be able to do so. I am thinking 10 will be plenty though! When you're ready to use them make sure you let them thaw 5-10 min before you use them.
So there you have it! Padsicles. I hope this helps you prep a little bit for after birth and that they feel amazing on your lady parts after you birth your baby!
Happy brave birthing!